Hello, you lovely creature. How’s everything going with you?
In case you haven’t seen it already, the Daily Odd Compliment account on Tumblr is one of the greatest things that the internet has to offer. It expresses genuine emotion through very weird ideas which, if we’re honest with ourselves, is often the most accurate way to do so. Love is many things, but socially acceptable is not one of them.
In honour of this bizarre but brilliant concept, and as a sort-of sequel to this post about awesome attributes we all have, I would like to add a few of my own weird compliments. Trust me, at least one of these applies to you. Yes, you with the face. These compliments will be things that your friends and loved ones definitely think about you, and hopefully things that you think about them, too.
- You are the first person I call when I’ve embarrassed myself in public, partly because I know that you’ll make me feel better about it, but mainly because I like to make you laugh.
- You are my first choice of wingman for crazy adventures. I could call you and say “let’s go swing dancing!” and your response would probably be “Cool. Flats or heels?” I don’t know why you go along with my ridiculous schemes, but I’m glad that you do.
- You are really witty on Facebook.
- Your ability to text while walking baffles me, but it’s also pretty impressive.
- You are way too good at coping with hangovers. Seriously, I don’t understand how you didn’t get a letter from Hogwarts with a magical ability like that.
- Your ability to psychically know when I need junk food has saved us both a lot of time over the years.
- When the zombie apocalypse hits, I will let you be in charge of the plan. Even if the plan involves holing up at the Winchester with your mum and your ex.
- You remember my stupidly complex coffee order, and you don’t mock me for it.
- The worst thing I can imagine is you not liking me anymore. I genuinely feel a bit sick just thinking about it.
- You being as weird as I am makes us both look more normal to other people. That’s a huge source of validation.
- I start missing you about ten minutes before you leave.
- Whenever you’re sad, I get a really strong impulse to go and hunt down your favourite celebrity and get them to give you a hug. One day I want to be able to call you and say “hey, cheer up, Benedict Cumberbatch is on his way over for a cuddle”.
- You wear pyjamas with panache. That is not easy to do, and I respect that.
- You are very sympathetic when I get upset about spelling errors. I know that you don’t get why it’s such a big deal to me, but you’re very nice about it nonetheless.
- You make tea correctly.